MINISTRIA E KULTURES, RINISE DHE SPORTEVE TE SHQIPERISE
MINISTRY OF CULTURE, YOUTH AND SPORTS OF ALBANIA


GALERIA KOMBETARE E ARTEVE
NATIONAL GALLERY OF ARTS

MARUBI 2003

 

Home

About the Contest

National Gallery of Arts

Special Exhibitions

Previous Editions

Marubi history

News

Events

Press clips

Partners

Sponsors

Links

Contact

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The NATIONAL GALLERY OF ARTS – the main institution for conservation, exposition and studying of the visual art in Albania- started its life in 1952 in the form of a pinakoteque. Its first fund included paintings collected from the state institutions before the Second World War. The woks mainly belonged to foreign authors and only a small number was from Albanian authors such as Zef Kolombi, Kolė Idromeno, Simon Rrota etc. Its first residence was a building at Rruga Kavajes, which does not exist anymore.

 

On 11 January 1954 the Gallery of Arts was officially inaugurated with a fund of 100 works and 40 authors. In 1956 its fund was carried in a building at "Fortuzi" street. The new building of the Gallery of Arts which was established at "Dėshmorėt e Kombit" Boulevard was inaugurated in 1974. In 1993 pursuant to a decision of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Albania the Gallery of Arts was renamed National Gallery of Arts.

Abaz Hado, Director of  NATIONAL GALLERY OF ARTS

On 11 January 1954 the Gallery of Arts was officially inaugurated with a fund of 100 works and 40 authors. In 1956 its fund was carried in a building at "Fortuzi" street. The new building of the Gallery of Arts which was established at "Dėshmorėt e Kombit" Boulevard was inaugurated in 1974. In 1993 pursuant to a decision of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Albania the Gallery of Arts was renamed National Gallery of Arts.

This gallery preserves the national collection of the visual arts of Albania from the XXth century up to date. In addition to a big collection of paintings and sculptures from the socialist realism, it is preserved as well a collection of paintings from the independence period, icons from the XIII-XIX century and by foreign authors. There is as well a small national and international collection of the contemporary art.

Th National Gallery of Arts is divided in two parts:

The first floor is used for the organisation of temporary exhibitions mainly of contemporary art. Some of the yearly exhibitions included here are the international contest of photography “Marubi”, the international contest of visual arts “Onufri” as well as the promotion of artists or specific artistic groups both from the country and from abroad.

At the second floor the permanent collection of the National Gallery of Arts is exhibited. It is divided according to historical periods, in the following pavilions:

a.      The art of Renaissance and the Independence in Albania (1860-1944)

b.      The Byzantine and post-Byzantine Art (XIII-XIX century)

c.      The Social Realism period

d.      The area of the Contemporary Art (after 1990)

At the garden of the National Gallery of Arts it is established a collection of bronx Sculptures from the period of the Social Realism.

The fund


Nowadays the National Gallery of Arts in Tirana owns 4500 works of arts from Albanian and international artists and the biggest part of this fund belongs to the Socialist Realism period.

 

Yahoo! Groups: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/marubi